You may be feeling confused about who is who when you suffer a work related injury. You may have heard the terms ‘WorkCover’ and seen ads on TV for ‘WorkSafe’, but who do you need to contact if you are unfortunately injured?

Victorians who are injured at work are eligible to make a claim under their employer’s WorkCover insurance.

The Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA) is the State Government body that oversees the WorkCover scheme. This authority is commonly referred to as WorkSafe. It gains its powers from the same legislation that covers workers’ rights.

WorkCover is a term commonly used to refer to the scheme, the authority, the insurance and the entitlements.

WorkSafe is also the occupational health and safety enforcement arm of the Victorian WorkCover Authority. WorkSafe can conduct health and safety inspections, issue improvement notices and fine or prosecute employers who are found to have breached OH&S laws.

WorkCover laws require that employers take out Workcover insurance policy with one of WorkSafe’s agents. These ‘agents’ are insurance companies appointed by WorkSafe to manage employers’ WorkCover insurance and compensation claims made by injured workers. The following WorkCover insurers are currently WorkSafe agents so all claims will be managed by one of them:

  • Allianz Australia Workers’ Compensation (Victoria) Limited
  • EML VIC Pty Ltd
  • Gallagher Bassett Services Workers Compensation Vic Pty Ltd
  • Xchanging

It is also important to note that some employers are self insured and manage their own workers compensation claims.

If you do not know which insurer covers your workplace you can ask the WorkSafe Advisory Service on 1800 136 089.

If you would like some free, no obligation advice about a work injury, please call one of our WorkCover lawyers on 1800 853 085 for advice about your rights and entitlements.