Road Accidents (TAC)

If you have been injured on the road or a family member has died in an accident on the road which involved a car, bus, truck, tram, train, scooter, motorbike or bicycle, you may be entitled to the following:

  • Weekly payments
  • Medical and like expenses
  • Impairment benefit
  • Lump sum damages for your pain and suffering, and loss of earnings

A claim must first be lodged with the TAC and strict time limits apply. We, Maxiom accident lawyers Melbourne will gladly assist you with this process.

Why Maxiom?

Our passion is to help you on your road to recovery and ensure that all of your entitlements are fully paid. We will advocate for your rights, be your voice, and are accessible when you need. You will be represented by a Specialist personal injury lawyer with the commitment that fees will be kept low.

Types of road accident injury claims

  • Car accidents
  • Bicycle accidents
  • Motorbike accidents
  • Quad bike accidents
  • Psychological injury claims
  • Nervous Shock or Dependency claims
  • Spinal injuries
  • Whiplash injuries

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When should I make a claim?

A TAC claim should be made immediately so that you can start claiming your benefits.

In Victoria there is a time limit of twelve months from the date of your accident for you to make a with a possible extension of up to three years. The TAC may not accept any claims lodged beyond three years unless you were under 18 years of age at the time of your injury. In this case, you have until you turn 21 to make a TAC claim.

Yes, provided that you are a Victorian resident and your accident involved a Victorian registered vehicle.

If you are not a Victorian resident but was injured whilst you were a passenger or driver of a Victorian registered vehicle the TAC will pay you compensation.

However, if your injury didn’t involve a Victorian registered vehicle, your benefits are governed by the laws of the state where your accident occurred.

Yes, you will be entitled to your weekly payments, medical and associated expenses and an impairment benefit (a small lump sum of money). However, you will not be entitled to common law damages for your pain and suffering, and loss of income.

If you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident, your entitlements will be reduced.

There are two lump sums that you may be entitled to:

  1. Impairment benefit– A claim for an impairment benefit can be made 12 months from the date of your injury provided your condition is permanent and stable. The claims process takes four months, during which time you will be examined by an Independent Medical Examiner who will assess your impairment rating.
  2. Common law Damages (Pain and Suffering and Economic Loss) – A common law claim can only be made 18 months after your injury or after your impairment benefits claim has finalised. To be entitled to a lump sum, you must establish that you sustained a serious injury due to the fault of your employer or another party.

Yes. TAC will pay benefits to a family member regardless of how the accident was caused. These benefits include funeral expenses, family counselling, and dependency benefits.

You may also bring a common law claim if the death of your loved one was the fault of another person.

This can be a very complex area so please contact us so we can advise you properly.

YesIf you have taken out income protection as part of your superannuation policy, you may be able to make a claim. In addition, you are entitled to a Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) or Permanent Incapacity claim within your respective Superannuation Scheme. We can assist you make this claim at an appropriate time.

Sach Fernando

Principal, Maxiom Injury Lawyers

Sach Fernando is a leading lawyer and Specialist in Personal Injury law, accredited by the Law Institute of Victoria.